Summer Term 2018

News from the Junior School - Week 6

A Royal Celebration

A Royal Celebration

On Saturday 19 May, people across the world tuned in to watch the Royal wedding as Prince Harry and his fiancée Meghan Markle were married. It was an exciting occasion for the whole country and the Junior School boarders were really looking forward to witnessing this historic occasion. With that in mind, the Junior School  decided to have a picnic at school for lunch to make sure they didn’t miss a second. It was a superb afternoon which concluded with a water fight later on in the beautiful sunshine. Thank goodness nobody at Westminster had the same idea! Congratulations to the Bride and Groom.

UK Maths Challenge Success

On Thursday 300,000 children across the country took part in the UKMT Junior Maths Challenge 2018. Fifty children from the Junior School in Years 7 and 8 participated in the challenge this year. Certificates are awarded on a proportional basis meaning that about 6% of the total participants are awarded a Gold, 14% a Silver and 20% a Bronze with about 5,700 going on to take part in the Kangaroo on 12 June. This year Tilly S in Year 8 achieved best in school. Both Tilly and Yuly, achieved a Gold certificate and have been asked to go on to the Kangaroo. The following children, in order, were awarded a  Silver certificate: Thomas S, Rory S, Owen M, Douglas B. The following children, in order, were awarded a Bronze certificate Alex B, Florence C (Best in Year 7), Niamh C, Cameron O, Eritz D, Katie P, Alex S-J, Lucia M. Well done to everyone who participated in the challenge - it was tough, but clearly we have some excellent mathematicians.

Gold certificate Maths Challenge winners Yuly and Tilly   Junior School Cricket   Junior School Cricket

How's That?

The cricket season has been in full swing since the start of term, with many fixtures having already taken place. For many of the children, when they join the  Junior School, it offers them their first real  experience of cricket. The children have done incredibly well this year building a range of fielding skills, bowling techniques and learning different types of shot in bat. This week, 41 children from the Junior School travelled to Lathallan School to compete in cricket fixtures. They managed to complete a clean sweep winning all of the games. It was a fantastic day in the sunshine and a wonderful performance from the all of the children who took part! Thanks to all of the sports staff for their brilliant coaching and to Mr Denyer for organising the fixtures.

 

 


Latest News & Alerts

Gold Duke of Edinburgh Expedition
Gold Duke of Edinburgh Expedition

Four Year 13 students headed for the Isle of Mull shortly before the end of term to carry out their Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award expedition.

Read more...
News from the Junior School - Week 10
News from the Junior School - Week 10

Read the latest from the Junior School on the year Group expeditions.

Read more...
News from the Junior School - Week 9
News from the Junior School - Week 9

Read the latest news from the Junior School - Year 8 Exped Training Walk, Last Chapel of the Year, the Mackenzie Cup

Read more...
Elgin Rotary Leadership Initiative
Elgin Rotary Leadership Initiative

Six students recently spent two days on the Elgin Rotary  Leadership initiative at Kinloss Barracks with 39 Engineer Regiment and teams from five local secondary schools

Read more...
Made by hampton-smith

Thank you for visiting the Gordonstoun website. Please be aware that this website uses cookies and that we may collect or process personal information about you. By clicking on the “I Agree” button you are giving consent to cookies being used and us collecting some personal information. You can read our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy by clicking here. These policies explain how we use cookies and how we may use your personal information.

[literal] [/literal]