Physical Education

Physical Education at Gordonstoun is about developing each individual to achieve their potential.  We provide a broad range of opportunities for all of our students to fully realise their physical skills and abilities.  We allow our students to build their understanding and experience of teamwork, leadership skills and broader social skills as well.  Furthermore we aim to foster a love of sport that will allow our students to continue to participate long after they leave school.

YEAR 9

All Year 9 students receive one double period of Physical Education each week. They are taught in mixed ability, mixed gender groups of approximately 15 to 18 students. There are two members of the PE staff in each lesson. During the year the aims of the course are:

These aims will be achieved via units of work including swimming, major games including ball games, racket games, gymnastics, dance and athletics. The courses are designed to encourage and allow achievement at all levels. We ensure that all students learn to enjoy participating in a range of activities.

GCSE (OCR)

The GCSE course provides a natural progression from Year 9 core work to the A-Level and has proved very popular with students in the past. The course is an exciting and challenging introduction to some important aspects of Sports Science and draws upon examples from British and World sporting events. Sport is becoming ever more important in Britain and the course helps the students understand its role in British and world societies.

Candidates will sit 40% of the examination by two one hour written papers, with the remaining 60% being assessed via their practical performance in four different sports, supported by two pieces of written coursework. The sports must come from at least two different activity profiles. As well as performing in their chosen sports, candidates will be expected to analyse the performance of other people either live or on video in at least one of their chosen sports as well as analyse healthy lifestyles.

Unit 1 introduces the key concepts, processes in PE, as well as explaining the opportunities, pathways and participation in Physical Education. Unit 2 focuses on developing the knowledge in Physical Education.

A2/AS LEVEL (OCR)

This course provides a natural progression from GCSE Physical Education, although it is possible to study the course without previous PE examinations.

Year One concentrates on the core studies of Anatomy and Physiology, Skill Acquisition and Contemporary Studies and the improvement of performance through critical analysis. Year Two further develops these areas through specialised courses in Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics, Psychology of Sport and the History of Sport.

This is an interesting, broadly-based, challenging course combining practical skills and theoretical knowledge, providing a good start for anyone interested in a career in the leisure industry (the world’s fastest growing industry). The course is universally accepted as a rigorous A-Level and students from previous years have gone on to study law, criminology, sports technology, sports science, land management and economics amongst others.

 

 


Latest News & Alerts

Active Revision
Gordonstoun Active Revision Course April 2018

The course delivers dynamic subject-specific sessions for the GCSE English Language, Mathematics and Science examinations, alongside a selection of active sessions requiring movement, skill and co-ordination.

Read more...
News from the Junior School - Week 1
News from the Junior School - Week 1

Read the latest news from The Junior School - Welcome back, Hitting the Slopes, The Highland Games and A Wonderful Wedding

Read more...
Inter-House Cross-Country Relays
Inter-House Cross-Country Relays

In the recent inter-House cross-country relay race 33 teams (132 teenagers) ran in a challenging event on a particularly cold afternoon,

Read more...
News from the Junior School - Week 14
News from the Junior School - Week 14

Read the latest news from the Junior school including A Treat at Chapel Service, Year 2/3 Pen Pals, Green Group Not Wasting Time and A Special Assembly...

Read more...
Winter Charity Ball
Winter Charity Ball

Last Saturday the Year 10s organised the annual Winter Ball, which was held in the Sixth Form Centre.

Read more...
Made by hampton-smith