This seasonal position (Fixed Term Contract, 23 April - 13 October 2018) requires the post holder to work for two days a week during the School’s sailing season as Chief Instructor at our sailing base in Hopeman Moray, where Gordonstoun provides a range of sailing and power boating activities for students from ages 6-18. For the remainder of the working week the post holder will assist in the delivery of outdoor education & learning sessions and activities.
Welcome Letter from the Principal and Headmaster.
- To act as Chief Instructor at the Gordonstoun RYA Recognised Training Centre at Hopeman
- To instruct students in all aspects of dinghy sailing following the RYA Dinghy Scheme.
- To ensure that adequate safety cover is provided whilst students are under instruction.
- To liaise with Gordonstoun staff assigned to assist with the running of the above activities.
- To ensure the safe management of all activities.
- To ensure that harbour safety rules and bylaws are followed.
- To lead the decision making process on the cancellation of sessions in the event of adverse conditions.
- To liaise with the Harbour Master and other harbour users to ensure that the School’s activities are carried out in a way that does not inconvenience or endanger others.
- To maintain the boats used at Hopeman and repair (or arrange repair of) any defects.
- To carry out weekly checks to ensure that all boats comply with minimum standard of maintenance, remain seaworthy and are free of defects.
- To ensure that the loose gear inventory is correct in all boats.
- To ensure that any boats left in the water are securely moored and regularly checked.
- To check the School’s two Cutters berthed in Hopeman Harbour on a regular basis. Pump out boats and ensure that they are securely moored. NB Boat checks may have to be carried out more frequently during periods of bad weather.
- To carry out weekly engine checks on safety boats and ensure that fuel is replenished when needed.
- To ensure that the boat shed and stores are kept clean and tidy and that all gear is correctly stowed at the end of each session.
- To assist with the slipping and launching of boats including towing on the road if suitably qualified.
Outdoor Education & Learning
- The delivery of a comprehensive, inspiring and educational range of outdoor education and learning sessions, programmes and expeditions.
- Assist in the administration of the outdoor education and learning department.
- Assist in the day to day operations of the equipment store and the regular administration and maintenance of outdoor education equipment.
The delivery of a comprehensive, inspiring and educational range of outdoor education and learning sessions, programmes and expeditions.
- Provide challenging, dynamic and inspiring outdoor education and learning experiences.
- Provide appropriate and equal opportunities for all students’ personal development through outdoor education and learning.
- Develop the skills and knowledge of students to enable them to successfully participate in outdoor activities in a variety of areas.
- Facilitation of a comprehensive programme of outdoor education experiences using new environments and situations in which students can link and apply different kinds of learning.
- Facilitation of Gordonstoun’s expedition programme and expedition training programmes.
- The provision extra curriculum outdoor education activities including evenings, weekends and outside of term time.
- Facilitation of specific outdoor education events and activities that use Gordonstoun School’s facilities and resources.
Assist in the administration of the outdoor education and learning department.
- Contribute creative ideas and concepts to the further development of a world leading outdoor education and learning programme.
- Assist in the planning and programming of curriculum outdoor education experiences.
- Involvement in the development of new activities within the outdoor education and learning department.
- Assist in the organisation of a comprehensive programme of outdoor education experiences using new environments and situations in which students can link and apply different kinds of learning.
- Facilitate specific outdoor education events and activities that use Gordonstoun Schools facilities and resources.
- To provide comprehensive information for ISAMS and other reporting processes set up to record student achievement and progress.
- Monitor, evaluate and record student progress and activities using a variety of methods.
Assist in the day to day operations of the equipment store and the regular administration and maintenance of outdoor education equipment.
- Maintain an organised, well run and efficient equipment store.
- Regular maintenance of Gordonstoun’s equipment used for outdoor education and learning activities.
- Maintain systems and records for the storage, maintenance and safety testing of all equipment.
- Ensure that equipment is used appropriately, for its intended purpose and is operated safely by suitably qualified and experienced staff.
Whole School Responsibilities:
- To write reports on students participating in sailing and outdoor education activities.
- To assist with school duties as arranged by the Deputy Head, Curriculum.
- To further the tone and purpose of the School by example.
- To foster and support activities in the interests of the school community.
- To be a member of school committees and working parties as appropriate.
- To ensure effective dialogue with parents in accordance with school policies.
- The post holder may be asked to help with promotional outdoor education and learning events.
- Outdoor education and learning activities play a unique role in helping to promote Gordonstoun to the wider world and as such, staff are considered ambassadors for the School during trips, and expeditions.
- The post holder has a responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people. This includes children that they are responsible for and come in contact with.
- The post holder must adhere to, and ensure compliance with, the school’s Child Protection Policy and Procedures at all times.
Person Specification for Sailing and Outdoor Education Instructor.
The closing date for applications is Noon on Monday 16 April 2018. Interviews will take place during the week commencing 19 March.
Back to the vacancies listing