Welcome letter from the Principal and the Headmaster.
The Sports Coach will be fully involved in the coaching of many different sports at all levels in the Senior and Junior Schools as experience and opportunity permits. He/she will also be involved in the PE classroom programme and in sports administration. He/she is directly responsible to the Sport and Activities Co-ordinator for all aspects of his/her work apart from pastoral and general duties. Experience in rugby, hockey, netball, athletics, swimming or tennis is desirable, ideally specialising in more than one. A full person specification for this post is available here.
Background information on Gordonstoun.
Areas of Responsibility
Sports Coaching – The Sports Coach will:
- Coach sport and other activities in both Senior and Junior Schools
- Supervise teams in both home and away fixtures
- Assist with sporting activities in the evenings and at weekends.
PE Classroom Programme – The Sports Coach will:
- Assist with the provision of core PE lessons
- Assist with the cover of lessons for absent staff
- Invigilate examinations as required
- Possibly be involved in examinable class teaching if a PCGE or other teaching qualification is held (with the Teacher Job Description applying).
Administration – The Sports Coach will:
- Be involved in the administration of matches – hosting etc
- Be involved in the operation of the Sports Centre at certain times
- Attend meetings held for Sports Coaches
Extent of Responsibilities/Workload - On a regular basis the Sports Coach will:
- Provide activities in the afternoons Monday to Friday and Senior School activities on Saturday
- Take evening activities in the Sports centre on three evenings per week, Monday to Friday
- Be on the Duty Sports Coach rota in the evenings.
- Be involved in sports based activities, including inter-house sporting events on Sundays
- Be on a rota for covering the Sports Centre during Leave-out Weekends
- Assist with PE lessons in the academic timetable each week, where required
- Assist to a reasonable degree with lesson cover and invigilation
Pastoral and General Duties - The Sports Coach will:
- Be attached to one of the Board Houses, either as a Tutor or a general assistant, with the expectation of spending one evening per week in the House
- Assist with staff duties, being assigned to the various duty teams
- Attend chapel at least twice a week
- Attend full Staff Meetings in the Senior School
- Attend major School functions
- A room or flat suitable for single accommodation can be provided at a nominal charge.
- This would usually have to be vacated within three days of the end of the Summer Term, to allow Summer school to use the building.
- All meals are provided free of charge in the School refectory during term time.
Salary and Terms
The post is initially an eleven month appointment with the potential to extend beyond depending on the skills and experience of the correct candidate. The salary is paid monthly from September to July inclusive at the rate fixed for the year. Approximately 12 weeks of holidays are fully paid and there is no expectation to work in them, apart from the time spent at the start of each term in preparation for the term and at the end of the term bringing matters to a close.
Please note we only accept CVs as backup documents to the school’s application form which can be downloaded here in Word or PDF formats and should be emailed to email@example.com by the closing date.
The closing date for applications is Friday 25 May 2018.
Back to the vacancies listing